Saturday, August 18, 2012

A Legacy

Today Joe and I are going to be able to get away for a few hours to go watch the new Bourne movie called "The Bourne Legacy".  I have no idea what the movie holds, but it did get me thinking about the word 'legacy'.  The dictionary online (does anyone look anything up in books anymore these days??) defines the second definition of legacy as: "Something handed down from an ancestor or a predecessor or from the past".

It was a year ago today that my Grandpa Opp went to be with the Lord.  I've shed some tears today as I think about him because, well, I miss him.  And yet, his legacy lives on in his children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  He was always the life of the party.  He cared.  He told great stories.  He loved deeply.  He made me laugh.  He loved to sing and dance.  He was around.  Both my parents are originally from CA, so when my dad got selected as an astronaut we moved to Texas but still frequented the LA area and the Opps came out to visit us regularly.  Then I remember how excited I was when they decided to move to Texas and only be a few hours from us!  They then came to piano and dance recitals, got to spend every holiday with us either at our house or theirs, and came to different "Showcases" and choir performances in college among other things.  My close college friends could tell you all about my grandpa as well since I took various trips with friends out to stay with them for a weekend.  He was there at the hospital at the birth of my first-born and made numerous trips up to Austin to visit Nate and Joe and I before we moved to NV.  He also was married to the same woman for 60 years.  A legacy.  

Grandpa came to know the Lord in his 50's and I praise God for that.  He was not perfect, but he was special to me.  We would sit and drink coffee and read the newspaper together in the mornings when I went to visit and he was so supportive of me.  He got to meet both my children and my daughter was born on his birthday last year... the year he died.  She carries on his spunky vibrant spirit... another part of his legacy.  

Every day is a gift.  Live it to its fullest.  Even though my Grandpa lived into his 80's, you never know what you will be headed to see your Maker.  What legacy will you leave for your children, grand-children and great-grandchildren?












No comments:

Post a Comment