Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Too fine, 2-9

With my 30th birthday being only a few weeks out, I've been getting sentimental about being in my 20's.  I mean, the change of a decade is a milestone!  I am embracing being in my 30's.... people have said its some of the best years of life... but I am also sad to be leaving my 20's where so much life change has occurred!  But I am also grateful for every year, well every day I have been given.  Life is a gift!

The number 29 has stuck out to me this past year and has turned up in all sorts of places....







But on pondering this turning of a page, I think to myself about all the memories that I have had and all the memories that are to come.  But the question that comes to mind in all my crazy adventures is: "What have I done with my life that has eternal significance?"  Because really, that is all that matters.

But you know, significance is not always in doing the huge extraordinary things.  It can be in a simple hug for my kids, making a meal for a friend, or loving my husband well.  I read a poem recently that was written in 1904 by Bessie Anderson Stanley that I think is beautiful in portraying success....


He has achieved success
who has lived well,
laughed often, and loved much;

who has enjoyed the trust of
pure women,

the respect of intelligent men and
the love of little children;

who has filled his niche and accomplished his task;

who has left the world better than he found it
whether by an improved poppy,
a perfect poem or a rescued soul;

who has never lacked appreciation of Earth's beauty
or failed to express it;

who has always looked for the best in others and
given them the best he had;

whose life was an inspiration;
whose memory a benediction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment